How Short Hair Dresses Up
We loved Evan Rachel Wood’s hairstyle at the Emmys for two reasons: One, it’s a great example of how to glam up a short cut. Two, hair stylist Mara Roszak used a decidedly retro piece of equipment to create the vintage-inspired look. Here’s what she did:
1. Apply Fekkai Coiff Extra Control Styling Gel to towel-dried hair.
2. Make a deep side part and comb the gel through thoroughly and begin to fingerwave. Let the hair dry under a hooded dryer for 20 minutes or until completely dry.
3. Gently brush out to soften the style. Apply Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Cream all over, keeping the “s” wave.
4. Spray all over with Living Proof Hold Firm Hairspray.
5. On the side with less hair, add a hair accessory - Mara used one by Jennifer Behr.
If your hair is on the longer side, you can still rock the Marcel waves - just twist up the back, like stylists did for last week’s Zac Posen runway show. Jimmy Paul for Bumble & bumble used a ¾-inch curling iron plus tons of Does It All hairspray to create this version.
Zac Posen photos: Mat Szwajkos for Beauty Blitz
Get the latest beauty news and inspiration!
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest from Beauty Blitz delivered straight to your inbox.