Polly's Hair Makeover Polly Blitzer
Confession: I've had super-long brown hair since 5th grade. And it's become particularly out of control since last April, when I had twins. Not long in a Madison from Splash way. Long in an unappealing, not-so-beauty-editor way. So when Vidal Sassoon Pro Series offered to partner with Beauty Blitz and redesign my hair, I hesitated, then warmed up to the idea of Polly v.2.0. Here's how it all went down.Photo by: Polly BlitzerAdvertisement
Analyzing a Mom Mane Polly Blitzer
My hair was getting out of hand.
1. Things got caught in it. Like hanging earrings on live television. Not a good look.
2. Knots happened. Like dreds matted in the morning. I don't toss and turn that much, do I?
3. Some of it fell out. I've always had gorgeous hair. Thick, glossy and enviable. So when it began to thin at my temples five months after having my babies, I was like whoah. No. It can't be. So I cried, and put off haircuts for fear of losing even more.
4. My arms hurt. Blowing out hair that's a couple feet long is harder than a session with a trainer.
5. I looked old. Long nappy hair adds years faster than wrinkles. Mama needed an update.6. Beauty editors can't have ugly hair. #truthPhoto by: Briana Redman
Planning the Cut Polly Blitzer
Michael discusses how angling the cut will create the illusion of lengh. It will frame my face in a way that hides those last (stubborn) 10 pounds of baby weight. The layers and swing will make me look younger. It will be manageable but not "I give up" soccer mom hair. (PROMISE?!)Photo by: Briana Redman
Docu-wash Polly Blitzer
I pondered the reasons for this cut during my shampoo. I needed it, right?
I run a small business with staff.
I have twin baby boys and a high-maintenance puppy.
I'm training for a half marathon.
Where is there room for three blowouts a week? Nowhere.That's how I rolled pre-babies. I was hoping for an affordable, effective hair color, care and styling line. And I needeed a haircut that I could easily style myself.Wish you could smell this delish Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Restroring Repair Shampoo & Conditioner (at walmart.com). Gives hair a mirror-like shine.Photo by: Briana Redman
Le Cut Polly Blitzer
Michael sections my hair and twirls them into tiny little "Bjork nubbies."Photo by: Briana Redman
Separation Anxiety Polly Blitzer
I had to bid a fond and fearful farewell to these snipped strands.
Emotion brings out the alieration. Forgive.Photo by: Briana Redman
Bwahaha! Polly Blitzer
True story: Right after this was taken, Michael busted out dance moves, Slumdog Millionaire Bombay style. He's a former dancer. It shows. To know him is to love him.Photo by: Briana Redman
Michael's Magic Polly Blitzer
He taught me to do new things with my new hair. By twirling the brush, I could create "ribbons" of cascading every-which-way curls. This was very Alexa Chung, not Shirley Temple or Hassidic rabbi.Photo by: Briana Redman
Mastering the 'Do Polly Blitzer
I was grateful to get useful info on how to use Vidal Sassoon Pro Series products to protect my color and give myself a variety of cool-girl looks (not dowdy mom ones) at home - just in time for Valentine’s Day.
How cool is it that I could actually look like That Girl after a couple minutes in the bathroom with these products?
And these products are available, like, everywhere. Dare you to find a drugstore that doesn't carry them.Photo by: Briana Redman
Vidal Sassoon Pro Series #love Polly Blitzer
I had a Valentine's Day crush on my new hair. What a way to spark confidence!
But the true judges were the three men in my life: my husband, Mark, and baby boys, Sam and Miles.
Mark loves it. He subconsciously combed his fingers through it while we watched TV. And the babies giggle when I swish it from side to side. I feel like a real #VSInsider.Photo by: Polly Blitzer
New Beauty Friends Polly Blitzer
Introducing. . . the new masters of my mane:
1. Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse, at target.com
Add volume in all the right ways, but with flexible (not stiff or crunchy) hold.
2. Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Color Protect Spray, at walmart.com
A super-light conditioning spray that keeps my color rich.
3. Jenny Packham Acacia Headband, at shopbop.com
A chic girl tiara to crown my new crop.
4. Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray, at walmart.com
This dual-phase spray maximizes shine and minimizes damage.
5. Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Extra Firm Hold Hairspray, at walmart.com
Thwarts frizz, even in the most humid conditions, like when my husband showers while I'm doing my makeup (and my hair's already blown out).